We're doing it again
Sept 12, 2021: 79 riders competed, one guy puked riding up a hill, one guy lost a pedal, there were riders on SoBi Bikes, riders all the way from Toronto and Guelph, two riders on a tandem bike, and a rider only 8 years old. 1st place went to Jamie P. who did all four clues and got to the finish line in 38m 35s.
May 15, 2022: There'll be four new clues, and a new finish line to unlock. We worked out the bugs. Spoke cards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Tshirts for the raddest riders.
An Alleycat is like a bike race, but more like a scavenger hunt for locations in Hamilton.
Start time is at Noon on May 15th, 2022.
How to sign up
You don’t sign up.
How it works
- Race goes live at 12:00 Noon on Sunday May 15th, 2022.
- Go to the Race Site → https://race.steelcityalleycat.com
- You’ll see a list of 4 clues. For example: BANDSHELL
- Go to the clue location
- Find the race marker with the code. It will look like this:
- Input the code into the Race Site → https://race.steelcityalleycat.com
- Answer all four questions to unlock the finish line clue
- Go to the finish line and type the last code into the Race Site → https://race.steelcityalleycat.com to get an official time
The start line
There isn’t a start line for this race. You can start from anywhere. The clues will become available on the Race Site → https://race.steelcityalleycat.com at exactly 12:00 noon on Sunday May 15th, 2022.
The bounds for the clues and finish line will be down the Mountain, East of Dundurn, and West of Ottawa.
The finish line will be unlocked after you complete all four clues. To finish the race and get an official time, you have to type in the final code at the finish line.
- Spoke cards and bragging rights for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
- Tshirts for the raddest riders
- Ride safe
- Have fun
- Friendly competition only. The prize is a fucking piece of paper, so relax.
- ONLY human powered travel is allowed.
- No Sharing Clues. You can ride as a team, but you can't split up. I'll know.
- If you're on a team, use only one phone.
- Ride safe.
- The winner is the first person or team to input the code from the finish line into the Race Site → https://race.steelcityalleycat.com. Remember you can only do that after you’ve unlocked all four clues.
Do I have to do the clues in order?
No, you don’t have to do the clues in order, but you have to get them all to unlock the finish line.
What do I need to bring?
- A charged smartphone with data
- A fast, human-powered mode of transportation
- A good mood & a bad attitude
What if I can’t figure out a clue?
Or Google it, they won’t be that hard.